youth / ambassadors
The Lowline Young Ambassadors ProgramBuilding off the success of the inaugural year of the Young Ambassadors Program from 2016-17, our second iteration of the program prepared 12 rising high school sophomores and juniors for careers and educational paths in science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM) fields. Young Ambassadors acquire, enhance, and refine their communication and leadership skills through participatory experiences such as facilitating community workshops, attending community meetings and teaching concepts to youth. Each Young Ambassador receives a $1,000 stipend for their participation in the program.
- – Documentation of service hours and recommendations for college, employment, or other scholarship programs.
- – Personal networking opportunities with architects, scientists, engineers, designers, and the Lowline staff.
- – Stipend of $1,000 upon completion of the program, with an average commitment of 100 hours.
- – Real-world professional experience engaging with individuals and organizations across New York City.
- – Increased knowledge and understanding of science, technology, engineering, arts, and math, and careers related to these fields.
- – High School Sophomore or Junior status in for the 2017- 2018 school year, with a preference for students living or attending school on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.
- – Interest in exploring and learning about career opportunities in science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM).
- – Interest in interacting with the community and developing communication skills.
- – Special consideration will be given to applicants referred by a Lower East Side-based community organization.
- – Commit to attending orientation in early October, followed by bi-weekly meetings on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school from 3-5pm. As part of those meetings, participate in STEAM career workshops and field trips, ultimately completing 100 hours at minimum throughout the program.
- – Commit to attending community events and service activities as needed, typically two weekend days each month.
- – Represent the Lowline at community events, workshops, festivals and fairs predominantly in the Lower East Side.
- – Facilitate community focus group sessions alongside the cohort and Lowline staff.
- – Assist with and eventually lead educational workshops and information sessions to teach concepts to community groups, senior centers, and local school groups.
OutcomesThe Young Ambassadors Program’s inaugural class (2016-17) were exposed to career opportunities through more than 20 different workshops and field trips. Throughout the program, they worked closely with urban planning consultants to be trained as community leaders and advocates, becoming an instrumental part of our community engagement work, speaking at and helping to facilitate public workshops, and conducting outreach. In addition, through a partnership with the New York Public Library, the Young Ambassadors Program’s inaugural class helped propel the Lower East Side Oral History Project forward by interviewing neighborhood residents and recording their stories. These interviews not only encouraged the teens to examine issues locally as a means of interpreting the world, but gave them the opportunity to learn from individuals who have witnessed the Lower East Side transform over the course of several decades. Check out this link to listen to audio recordings of the interviews on the NYPL’s Oral History Project’s archive. When the Young Ambassadors Program formally ends, the real work begins. Following the program’s 6-month term, Alumni are supported in applying their new skills to their desired fields. From architecture to horticulture, Alumni have gone on to receive paid internships. In addition, 2 Young Ambassadors from the inaugural year were hired as paid Lowline Summer Interns, and all 16 will be invited to participate as paid mentors to the 2017-18 class.
This program was made possible by generous support from the Pinkerton Foundation, the Charles H. Revson Foundation, and NRG Energy, Inc. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the Lowline Young Ambassadors Program.